Have you ever wondered How to clean hardwood floors in your home properly? When choosing flooring for your home or apartment, price is good to keep in mind, but do you think about other factors? Do you want your flooring to be attractive? Easy to clean? Maybe both?
Hardwood floors look stylish and compliment a variety of interior design themes, but they can be quite a hassle to clean. Perfectly polished sparkling clean wood floors are a delight to the eye, but if not cleaned properly, your beautiful floors can turn into an eyesore.
Cleaning the hardwood floors is not an impossible task. All it takes is a bit of effort and some effective tips and tricks.
While cleaning a hardwood floor may take more thought it is well worth the effort.
Sweep The Wooden Floor Clean
The first task is to sweep the floors clean. Take care to wipe away all the dirt, dust, pet hair, sand, grit and anything else that may come inside on everyone’s shoes. You can also use a vacuum with a floor brush attached for effective cleaning.
Hardwood floors can become damaged if it doesn’t get swept and cleaned often.
Find Out The Type Of Finishing Of Your Hardwood Floor
Before you start rubbing clean the floor with a wet mop and brush, make sure you know what type of finishing has been done on your flooring. The type of wood used for your floor does not help you decide the best cleaning method at all. You need to know the type of finishing before you can decide on the cleaning method.
Vacuuming can be faster than sweeping if you have the right tools or settings on your vacuum for hard floors.
- If your floor has been sealed with a polyurethane, polyacrylic or urethane surface sealant, then you have a great floor and the cleaning process is simple. These kind of surface sealants are highly resistant to water damage and stains. All you have to do is sweep and mop the floor clean with a damp mop, and make sure to dry it with an old towel to prevent any water damage
- Oil finish and penetrating sealants seep into the wood grain and tend to harden. You need to take special care for such a floor and treat it with paste or liquid wax.
- Some floors have lacquered, shellacked, varnished or untreated wooden surfaces, which need special care and attention just like oil finish sealants. These are different kinds of floorsLink opens in a new tab laid to enjoy a unique style effect.
But what if you don’t know what type of floor sealant you have? How will you clean your hardwood floorLink opens in a new tab then?
Try out this useful tip:
Rub your finger across a section of the wooden floor. If no trace of a smudge appears, that means your floor has a surface seal. If a smudge does appear, then your floor was probably treated with an oil finish, lacquer, shellac, penetrating seal or varnish and was then waxed properly.
Tips To Cleaning Surface Sealed Floors
- Do not use waxes, oils or any kind of furniture sprays.
- Avoid the use of any alkaline solutions and abrasive cleaners.
- Only use a floor cleaning product suggested by your floor finisher, or simply use water and plain soap for the job.
- Regular sweeping of high traffic areas is essential, while you need to use the mop twice in a week.
- Never use a soaking mop on a wooden floor for cleaning. Only use a damp mop, dip it in the cleaning solution, wring it and use the mop in the general direction of the wood grain
Tips To Clean The Oil Treated, Lacquered, Shellacked And Untreated Floors
- Only use a floor cleaning product recommended by the floor manufacturer.
- Use liquid or paste waxLink opens in a new tab to protect the floor from scratches and to clean it properly.
- Avoid using any furniture wax, or water based wax, as they can turn the floors white, slick and even trap dirt.
- Do not use a damp mop on this floor surface. Only sweep and vacuum the floor regularly. At least once or twice a year, strip out the old wax and apply a new coat of fresh wax on the floor.
Tips On How To Deal With Simple Wooden Floor Problems And Clean Them
- If there are white spots on your floor, use some mineral spirit with an extra fine steel pad. Then rub the area clean in a circular motion.
- If you want to remove shoe marks from the floor, use the wax on a steel wool pad to wipe the area clean.
- For removing any food stains, use a damp cloth on the area. Rub it dry and apply wax on the surface.
Proper care and cleaning of your wood floor will keep it looking beautiful for years to come.
Tips To Preserve The Beauty Of Your Hardwood Floors
- Sweep clean and vacuum the floor on a regular basis. The ground-in dirt destroys the floor.
- Wipe clean any spills and mud at once, as water can damage the wooden flooring.
- If you plan to place a rug on your hardwood flooring, then be careful. Many rug dyes have been known to stain the floors. The plastic backings of most of the carpets and rugs are known to spoil the wooden floor surface.
Be sure to lay a rubber mat under the rug to keep from damaging your beautiful hardwood floor.
In order to know how to clean hardwood floors you need to know the basics of what type of wood sealant you have. Once you know what kind of surface you are dealing with you can use these tips to keep your flooring as sparkling clean as ever. All it takes is a bit of effort and guided care to get the job done right.
What methods and solutions do you use to keep your hardwood floors clean and beautiful? Post your comments below. For more ideas for your home, follow us on FacebookLink opens in a new tab and checkout our PinterestLink opens in a new tab board.