We all have a lot of ambition for projects we would like to accomplish around the house - especially after the summer months cool down and turn into the nice, autumn weather. However, things like football, a new school year, and, well, LIFE, somehow get in the way. When the popular home renovation site, BudgetDumpster.com, asked for advice on which projects need to be done now - and not later - Scott Specker with Five Star Painting of Suwanee and Alpharetta, GA stepped up to offer some advice and tips on how to refinish that outdated brick fireplace. Click HERE to read the full list of fall projects.
So, WHY would you need to refinish your brick fireplace now?
- First of all, you probably have not started a fire in there yet this season, so it's relatively ash and soot free.
- Second, you probably will want to start a fire in there soon, and you'll be glad you took the time now to refinish the brick instead of putting it off again until next year.
- Third, if you still have children in the home, you will likely be hanging stockings from the fireplace mantle soon. Once those stockings are hung, you know they are not coming down until December 25th.
- And finally, it's a really simple process, and if you plan to sell your home in the near future, an updated fireplace facade is very appealing to homebuyers.
Step By Step Instructions
- Clean The Surface - Remove dirt using a damp cloth.
- Mix & Apply Paint - First coat should be two parts white paint, one part grey paint and two parts water. Use an oval-shaped, flat brush to apply on the bricks.
- Add Color - Mix 3/4 cups water, 3/4 cups black paint and 3/4 cups French Roast paint, then use a rag to apply the paint to the bricks for a textured appearance.
- Use a Wax Finish - Apply wax to bricks using a rounded brush.
If you want the experts to handle this or any other painting project around the house, then you know who to call - Five Star Painting®. We have locations all around the United States and Canada, and we offer free and precise estimates. Check our availability HERE.