Recently, thousands of families have been impacted by flooding in the Southeastern United States, with damage seen extensively along the Arkansas and Mississippi Rivers. Many communities remember the long road to recovery, when they were impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma, Jose and Maria during 2017. Subsequent flooding occurred in various areas, including South Texas, Louisiana, Florida, Puerto Rico, the Caribbean.
During any disaster, getting you and your family to a safe place is most important, despite how hard it is to leave your home and possessions behind. Below is expert information Five Star Painting, a Neighborly company, has prepared for you to consider when the time comes to return home, rebuild and recover.
When faced with a natural disasters, storms, fires or other catastrophes, the most important thing is keeping you and your family safe. This may involve having to leave your home quickly, and evacuate the area. For a list of best practices involving this, read out blog “Natural Disaster Preparation Tips.” It can be very difficult to walk away from valuables, such as your home, electronics, jewelry, clothing and more. But, in the end, all of these items can be replaced or repaired.
Once It’s Safe to Return Home
Once authorities lift restrictions on being in disaster-affected areas, seeing the damage caused can be overwhelming. It’s hard to know exactly where to begin. See the list below of common damage categories, and expert advice on how to tackle each one.
- Before You Go Inside: Even if authorities lift restrictions on returning to your neighborhood, it’s still very important to make sure it’s safe to enter your house. The Federal Emergency Management Agency has important tips on ways to check for structural integrity, and making sure there are no electrocution risks to entering your home.
- Take Photos: It can be tempting to jump right in and start salvaging, but it’s important to document damage for insurance claim purposes.
- Keep Skin Away from Contact With Remaining Water: If a storm, flooding or even a fire has affected your home, it’s likely there may be remaining water standing or puddled in places. This liquid may have pathogens, chemicals or other contaminates you might not realize are present. To be safe, wear water-proof boots, rubber gloves and face masks covering the nose.
Making Your House Home Again
As you begin repairing and rebuilding, here are a list of areas in your home for which you might consider hiring a professional painter, such as Five Star Painting.
- Exterior Paint
- Exterior Brick
- Drywall Repair and Replacement
- Interior Paint
- House Exterior, Including Paint, Siding, Brick, Seals and Windows
Five Star Painting is proud to be a part of a whole family of Neighborly home service brands. As you continue making your house your home again through repairs, this group of professionals can offer you support in areas such as plumbing, appliance repair, glass installation and more.