A fresh coat of paint can give your home a whole new look, but it’s easy to have a few mishaps along the way, especially when painting window trim.
If dried paint flecks on your window are spoiling your view, don’t worry! It’s easy to learn how to remove paint from windows without scratching the glass.
There are a few tried-and-true methods that work to remove paint from glass. You may be able to remove tiny splotches using white vinegar and/or hot soapy water, but large or stubborn paint spots may require the use of a razor blade.
For best results, start with a simple method that will soften and loosen the paint. Continue through the steps below until you are able to get every last trace of paint off your window.
Steps to Remove Paint from Glass Windows
- Assemble the following materials:
- Glass measuring cup or bowl
- Distilled white vinegar
- Rubber or vinyl gloves
- Sponge or wash cloth
- Small bucket of warm water
- Dish soap, glass cleaner
- Razor blade
- Paper towels or newspaper
- Pour approximately one cup white vinegar into measuring cup and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds. Using gloves to protect your hands, dip cloth or sponge into hot vinegar, saturate paint spots, and apply some elbow grease to loosen. The vinegar may not entirely remove the spots, but it will soften them. (Avoid using abrasive dish scrubbers or harsh steel wool, which are likely to scratch the glass.)
- If the paint is not removed using vinegar, immediately place 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of dish soap into bucket and fill with warm water. (It is best to do this before the vinegar has dried.) Use sponge or cloth to scrub back and forth or in a circular motion. In some cases, this may be enough to fully remove paint from your window.
- If paint spots remain, use a razor to scrape them off. Choose a new razor—old or dull ones require more force and are likely to scratch. Hold the razor at a 45-degree angle, and scrape gently in one direction only. Work slowly, trying to get the edge of the razor fully underneath the edge of the paint splotch. Be sure to keep re-wetting the paint spots with soapy water to keep the razor lubricated and minimize the risk of scratching.
- Once all of the paint has been removed, spritz glass with window cleaner and wipe dry with paper towel or newspaper.
Avoid Ugly Paint Splatters
You can avoid the hassle of removing paint spots from windows by hiring Five Star Painting to paint for you! Our professionals will transform your home’s appearance without leaving a mess behind, and we offer five-star quality without the five-star price! Contact us for a free estimate online or call (888) 261-3633 to schedule an appointment.
Now that the inside of your windows are clean, get the outside sparkling clean with help from our friends at Window Genie!